Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Toothpaste and Tubes (Update)

When I linked to that rant about the miserable Xbox One install experience, I received e-mails from two camps.

Camp #1: the Xbox One isn't really like that. Maybe not, but I installed Eli's and that's exactly how it was for me.

Camp #2: the PS4 isn't like that at all. Maybe not, but I installed mine and that's exactly how it was for me.

Last week, I wanted to watch Netflix on the PS4. Here's what happened.

First, I had the PS4 in "Sleep mode" to install updates, etc., for obvious reasons. Well, except for one thing--if there's a one-second glitch in the power, Sleep mode blows up. So I can't start the system, finally get it to turn on, and I get the "checking system state and save file" or whatever it's called. That takes about five minutes to check it and rebuild it and whatever the hell it's doing.

Second, I get the message that there's a software update ready to install, and I have to install it. That takes another five minutes or so.

Third, something else gets checked. I don't even know what it is at this point because I'm bored and have lost hope.

I do finally get to Netflix, 10+ minutes later. Where I get told that there's a Netflix update ready to install.

This is a horrible customer experience. I spent over 10 minutes installing crap to be able to watch a 22-minute show.

Site Meter