Thursday, October 30, 2014

Oculus Rift DK2

The future of reality is blurry. For me, at least.

I received the DK2 and spent several hours installing it today. There were several little janky things I had to overcome, but overall, I'm very impressed with the build quality in general.

Unfortunately for me, though, the headset comes with two different lenses: "A" and "B". The "B" lenses are for nearsighted people, but apparently, not as nearsighted as I am. No matter which lense I use, and no matter the distance, I can't get even modestly sharp text. Actually, I can barely even read text, which is not how I've seen the unit described in various places, so this is obviously a me problem.

Wearing glasses makes everything tremendously clunky, so I'm trying to avoid that, but I'm kind of at an impasse at this point.

I did take a look at the demo scene included with the configuration utility, and even blurry, it's pretty mind-blowing. This is a very impressive piece of hardware. And I'd be willing to spend the time necessary to get Elite or Euro Truck Simulator 2 working, but the blurriness would make it relatively pointless.

Eli 13.2 used the "A" lenses, because he has 20/15 vision, and he said it was "kind of" sharp. Plus, he was blown away by the little demo scene.

I'm going to spend some time tomorrow trying to get more things to run. There are several different modes, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to find things that would run in "native" mode, but almost nothing does. So I'll try some of the other options and see how I do, then report back.

If I could just get past the blurriness, though, everything else would just be details. The headset is comfortable, the effect is amazing, and I desperately want to get this working.

Site Meter