Thursday, September 11, 2014

The iWatch

I don't get it.

I haven't worn a watch in fifteen years, at least. I have a phone. It tells the time. It does all kinds of nifty things. Why do I want another device that performs a subset of functions of the device in my pocket?

People send e-mails explaining why the watch is cool. I read them very carefully, and when I'm finished, I immediately say, "I don't get it."

Fitness tracker? Why do I need a fitness tracker? I know that when I've reached a certain level of fatigue in a workout--fatigue that is easy to fell--then I've had a good workout. I'm a big data person, but do I need minute by minute data about my workout? No.

If I want to know how I'm recovering from workouts, or whether my workout routine is working, all I need to do is take my resting pulse when I wake up in the morning. That gives me every piece of information I need.

Notifications? Doesn't my phone already do that?

Can it replace my phone? No way. And if it can't, all it does is riff on the existing functionality of my phone.

If Apple (or anyone else) can sell a smartwatch in volume, then they can truly sell anything. This is the ultimate test case for marketing and brand over functionality.

Site Meter