Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Future As The Present

When I worked at CompuAdd in the late 1980's, a 286/12 was the bomb. I still have the manual--here, have a look at the page about memory:


That's right. This bad boy shipped with 512KB of RAM. And don't forget the gigantic 20MB hard drive.

I was reminded of this today when I saw a review of the Samsung Galaxy Gear watch. I have zero interest in this product, and have no idea why anyone would buy one, but I was curious to see if I was missing something enormous, so I read the review. And saw this:
Spec-wise, the Gear features an 800MHz processor with 512MB of RAM, a 315mAh battery, 4GB of internal storage, Bluetooth 4.0 + LE and an accelerometer and gyroscope.

512MB of RAM and 4GB internal of storage on a WATCH? Who am I, George Jetson? What kind of crazy future present am I living in? I expect Rosie the Robot Maid to roll up any second and say "You betcha, Mr. H."

Site Meter