Tuesday, October 15, 2013

League of Denial

I just finished reading League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth.

It's brutal.

If you have any interest in football, or have a child involved in sports, then I highly recommend that you read this book. Wait, let me broaden that a bit. If you enjoy reading, then I highly recommend that you read this book. It's a brilliant, discouraging piece of work.

I thought for years that the NFL was actively researching the effects of concussions and cumulative head trauma. They were, but in the same way that Big Tobacco researched the relationship between cigarettes and lung cancer. This is a disturbing book, beautifully written, and incredibly dramatic.

This issue is not going to go away. It may not destroy the NFL, but it will have a radical effect on the future of the game. If you want to know why, read this book and you will understand.

Site Meter