Thursday, July 05, 2012

July Fourth Wardrive

I've written several times in the past few years about our odd little July 4th tradition, where we basically wardrive neighborhood fireworks displays.

When I say "neighborhood fireworks displays", I don't mean official, sanctioned shows. I mean the redneck neighborhood 10 minutes from our house, where every block has five guys in the back of a pickup truck shooting off hundreds of dollars of fireworks in the middle of the street.

What's different about this year? Well, two things: one, there were more neighborhood fireworks than ever, and this time, I got video.

Now, a couple of qualifiers. First, this is cell phone video, and it's horrible. In no way does it convey the size and splendor of what was going on around us. However, the sound DOES convey it pretty well.

We decided to stop in a clearing right next to a local park, which gave us excellent visibility in all directions. You'll see the camera whipping around as I try to focus on different bursts, because at any one point, there were 10-12 different "shows" going on.

Okay, here's the video (remember, listen to it with your speakers on):


Yes. That's insane.

Site Meter