Thursday, March 01, 2012

Eli 10.7: Newsbreaker

"Dad, that's Lamar Odom," Eli said. We were standing in the lobby of the ultra-expensive hotel across from the American Airlines Center. We were staying here for the night, and then I was going to rob a bank in the morning to pay the bill.

Eli nodded in the direction of a very tall, very thin guy. He was standing in semi-darkness, in the entrance to the Le Douche Lounge (or whatever they call it), but I could just make out his face.

"Dude, you may be right," I said. "It does kind of look like Lamar Odom."

"No, Dad," he said insistently. "That IS Lamar Odom."

Just then, the very tall guy emerged from the lounge and started walking across the hotel lobby, two short guys in tow. A cellphone rang. One of the guys answered it, then held up the face of the phone to the other short guy. He smirked, then said, "La--marrrr!" in kind of a mocking voice.

"Holy crud," I said to Eli. "You were right!"

Note: Lamar Odom is one skinny dude.

Before we went to the hockey game, Eli and Gloria decided to walk around the hotel, and I decided to stay in the room, so off they went. They came back about twenty minutes later.

"Dad," Eli said as they walked into the room. "You are not going to believe this."

"What?" I asked.

"I saw Mark Cuban," he said.

"No way," I said.

"Way. It was definitely him. I wonder if he was meeting with Lamar Odom."

When we got home today, I went to check the news on Pro Basketball Talk, just on a hunch. That's where I saw this:
While the team was in Memphis Wednesday, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban met in Dallas with Odom and his agent, Jeff Schwartz, to work on a timetable that would ease Odom back after his weeklong personal leave, perhaps as soon as this weekend.

Site Meter