Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Outrageous!

That mystery screenshot I posted on Monday of people in tuxes and formal dresses sitting in a hot tub is from a show called "Jem."

See what they did there with a "J" instead of a "G"? I know you did.

Here's the basic set-up for the show (taken from the Wikipedia entry:
The series revolves around Jem who is the mysterious lead singer and front-woman of the rock group "Jem and the Holograms". She is also Jerrica Benton, owner/manager of Starlight Music. Jerrica adopts this persona with the help of a holographic computer, known as Synergy, which was built by Jerrica's father to be "the ultimate audio-visual entertainment synthesizer" and is bequeathed to her after his passing. Jerrica is able to command Synergy to project "the Jem hologram" over herself by means of the remote micro-projectors in her earrings, thus disguising her features and clothing enabling her to assume the Jem persona. While disguised as Jem, Jerrica is able to move freely without restrictions and on several occasions other people have been in direct physical contact with her without disrupting the holographic projection. Jem, through the use of her earrings, is also able to project holograms around her and uses this ability throughout the series to avoid danger and provide special effects for the performances of her group.

Incredibly, the show had a nice run from 1985-1988, with 65 episodes. Even more surprising was this (also from the Wikipedia entry):
...in 1987 it was the 3rd most watched children's program in syndication with 2.5 million viewers weekly.

You guys sent me some very funny e-mail, which I will share, but I'm not going to bust anyone by using their names. Oh, and for some of these to make sense, you need to know that the signature line of one of the characters is "OUTRAGEOUS!"

First in:
Is she truly outrageous...truly, truly, truly outrageous? ;)

I deleted this email about 5 times before I couldn't resist any longer.

Next:
Is that picture from Jem? The 80s band Barbie thing? I don't know what to be more ashamed of; that I can still remember that show, or that I might be wrong but admitted to knowing about Jem anyway.

I'm going to bury my head in my hands and pretend none of this ever happened.

And more:
Is that… Gem and the Holograms?

Bad? Yes. Worst EVER? No. Mr. T. had his own cartoon, which featured a dog with a mohawk.

Still more:
Jem is truly, truly, truly outrageous.

One of my favorites:
How can you say that about Jem?

Jem is excitement, Jem is adventure, glamor and glitter, fashion and fame, Jem is truly outrageous!

That's taken from the theme song, by the way. Well played.

Another favorite:
That is TOTALLY Jem and the Holograms. That's Kimber in the hot tub!

Um, I shouldn't be admitting that I know that, should I? That's quite the odd coincidence, too, because I just ordered the DVD collection from Amazon. For my girlfriend. For Christmas. Really.

This, though, was the absolute best:
Not a fan of Jem? But she’s truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

And yes, I knew which show that was a shot from without looking it up. Don’t judge.

I actually copied down some dialogue from the episode we watched:
Unaware of his feelings, Kimber was going to marry Jeff.

I've got my guy, he's got the ring.

I began to wonder if I could give up my carefree lifestyle.

Of course, with such lovely ladies, we always travel first class.

Wow! Look at that long limo.

Totally awesome, stylish, and hip.

I know that you are now begging for more, so watch the opening of the show.

Yes, it's all just as bad as that.

Site Meter