Thursday, July 14, 2011

More From The Board Game Exhibit

It's great to be back in the land of Internet Connections That Do Not Suck, but after four hours of walking through Legoland and a vigorous hour of sea kayaking yesterday, plus travel today, my ass is beat.

However, now that the damn Internet works (for me), let me finish off the picture thread from the wonderful board game exhibit at the San Diego Museum Of Man.

First off, a classic from the 1880s: "American Boys".


Sorry--it's sideways, I don't know why, and I'm too tired to figure it out.

Next, a card game named "Dr. Busby", published in 1843 (one of the first card games printed in the U.S., and it was "hugely popular":


I'm sure that quite a few of you know that Parker Brothers had to buy the rights to "Finance" in order to secure its own trademark for Monopoly. But how many of you have ever seen the game board?


Again with the sideways (fortunately, it doesn't matter much here).

I also stumbled onto a very interesting paper by Bruce Whitehill, and if you're interested in board games, it's quite fascinating:
American Games: A Historical Perspective.

Site Meter