Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Eli 8.0

I haven't made a "stuff Eli said" post in a while because I've been writing about all the things we've been doing instead. However, as always, he's been in fine form, and here are a few examples.

We were listening to the radio and a song came on by a well-known American composer. "I can't believe that I can remember who did this song," I said. "I know he's American, but I just can't think of the name."

"I'm just like that, Dad," he said. "Just a few days ago, I was trying to remember the name of that famous basketball team. You know--the Highland Ghost Trotters."

It was Aaron Copeland, by the way. The composer--not the basketball team.
***

"Dad, I learned how to play poker," Eli 8.0 said.

"Did you?" I asked.

"I had the BEST HAND the other day, too," he said. "I had a full hotel."
***

We kept Gracie the cat out of Eli's room at night for a few days, because he wasn't sleeping well. It actually bothered her, and she would skulk around outside his door once reading time started.

"Oh, that's so sweet," Eli said. "She misses me."

"Ah, star-crossed lovers," I said. "Just like Romeo and Juliet, except with a cat."

"Romeo and Juliet?" he asked. "You mean like in 'Hotel For Dogs'?"
***

When we were in San Diego, he was doing something goofy in the room one morning, jumping on the beds or throwing something across the room (I can remember which).

"Dude, stop," I said. "You're driving me crazy."

"It's not my fault, Dad," he said, laughing. "I have issues."
***

"Dad, how long will you remember me?" Eli 8.0 asked.

"Little man, I'll remember you for 100 years, at least," I said.

"Knock knock," he said.

"Who's there?"

"You forgot me already!" he said, laughing.

Site Meter