Saturday, November 29, 2008

It Rhymes With "The Taco"

On Sunday mornings, I take Eli 7.4 to breakfast at McDonald's.

He always orders the same thing--Pancake Happy Meal (for the toy), and then I order a Big Breakfast Platter to get him a biscuit and some scrambled egg. The pork sausage is thrown away as dangerously toxic, and based on the smell, I believe that assumption is correct. And we get a hash brown "racing oval," which I always eat.

I used to get a biscuit for myself as well, but as I saw him eat two or three bites of pancake for months on end, I decided that something needed to be done with those pancakes. I didn't blame him for wanting a toy--if they had adult Happy Meals, I'm sure I'd be all over it--but I wanted to waste less food.

"So how was breakfast?" Gloria asked when we got home, after Eli had run upstairs to find a book.

"Good," I said. "Eli had his regular meal, and I had a panaco."

"A what?" she asked.

"A panaco," I said. "It's a pancake in the shape of a taco shell, and inside is a hash brown cut in half lengthwise. A little syrup is poured on on the hash brown, too."

"That sounds good," she said.

"It is," I said. "The syrup really puts it over the top."

"How long has McDonald's had it on their menu?" she asked.

"Um," I said. "It's not exactly on their menu. It's something I made. I'm kind of a fast foodie."

"Oh, good grief!" she said. "You called it a "panaco," and I thought that was really its name."

"That IS its name," I said.

Just then, Eli came downstairs with his book. "How was breakfast?" Gloria asked him brightly.

"Good," he said. "I had a biscuit and egg, and Dad had a panaco."

"See?" I said.

Site Meter