Thursday, September 18, 2008

Meat Loaf and the Importance of Being an Individual

We were on our way back from Krispy Kreme Saturday morning, and Eli 7.1 saw a restaurant sign as we drove by. "Mongolian Grill," he said.

"Good reading," I said.

"I know all about the Mongolians," he said.

"Really?" I said. "Tell me about them," I said.

"Well," he said, "I know they have a culture and they make Mongolian meatloaf."

"Exactly right," I said. "Well, not exactly."
***

Last night, we had dinner together. As a family.

One of the vegetables was corn on the cob. Eli doesn't like corn on the cob, though, so Gloria stripped his ear of corn and put the kernels in a bowl.

When Eli started eating his corn, he used his fingers.

"Eating corn with your fingers is not really considered polite," Gloria said.

"Mom," Eli said patiently, "all the kids eat corn with their fingers."

"Peer pressure," I said. "Nice angle."

"They eat corn on the cob with their fingers," Gloria said. "Not kernel corn."

"Ooh," Eli said.

"Backed into a corner," I said. "What will he do?"

We were silent for a few seconds. Then Eli said, "I think it's important for every person to be an individual."

"Outstanding save," I said.

Site Meter