Thursday, August 14, 2008

Graham Wilkinson And A New CD

[UPDATE: All CDs have been claimed, but like I mentioned in the post, I'll let you guys know when it's available at CD Baby.]

We went to see Graham Wilkinson at the Cactus Cafe on Friday night.

Graham is the lead singer and songwriter of Graham Wilkinson & the Underground Township, and if you've been reading this space for any length of time, that name will be familiar. They are a phenomenally talented group of musicians, and Graham is just an incredible talent.

He was at the Cactus on Friday to celebrate the release of a new album, a solo album (although The Township is still together). There's something about Graham's music that is tremendously uplifting, and seeing him in person is always an unforgettable experience.

I bought copies of the new album, of course, and it's nothing short of stunning. When I listen to a great album, I'm far, far away by the time it's over. You know what I mean--great music really transports you to another place, one where you'll totally involved and focused. I've never listened to anyone whose music affects me the way that Graham's does. It's so incredibly personal and raw, and he's one of the best songwriters I've ever heard.

The songs on this album are less raucous than the songs he does with the Township, but they are uniformly striking and deeply affecting, and they're even more intense.

The CD is going to be available for purchase on CD Baby, and I'll let you know when it's up, but in the meantime, I have eight copies to give away, and I'm sitting at my desk with CD mailers. Be one of the first eight to e-mail, include your address, and one will be on its way to you.

Site Meter