Thursday, July 31, 2008

Eli 7.0


Please note the toe socks. With BADASS FLAMES on them.

Eli's been talking about Star Wars for much of the last year, and this week he got to see A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back for the first time. Tonight, Return of the Jedi.

He's not going to see the prequel trilogy until he's at least ten (because they're darker and more intense), but the original trilogy was fine, and he was thrilled by The Empire Strikes Back (my favorite, too, and Gloria's as well).

Gloria's the Star Wars expert in our house. I've seen all six, but somehow Star Wars isn't my thing. To me, you're either a Star Wars guy or a Blade Runner guy--it's one of those universal fault lines that the world arranges itself around. I'm 100% a Blade Runner guy, and while I enjoy the Star Wars films (they're much funnier, in particular, than I remember), I think Blade Runner is more interesting than all six Star Wars films put together.

Eli's at least six years away from watching Blade Runner, though, and maybe more, so I'm glad he's enjoying Star Wars so much. He's actually having a "lightsaber" battle upstairs right now, and the soundtrack from The Empire Strikes Back is playing.

I need to make a list of all the things I want Eli to be introduced to over the next few years: the Marx Brothers, the Three Stooges, Monty Python, Billie Holiday--good grief, there would be hundreds of items. Maybe we'll have a collaborative project for all this, and you guys can use it with your kids, too.

Site Meter