Monday, February 11, 2008

Live in Rome

Thom Moyles sent me a link Saturday with this comment:
This might be the most impressive live performance I've seen on YouTube.

I was curious, because Thom is a really, really bright guy, but it was a link to a Talking Heads concert in Rome in 1980.

What?

I've always appreciated the Talking Heads in terms of their intelligence, and like everyone else, Stop Making Sense blew me away, but a big part of that was David Byrne's mesmerizing performance in that big white suit. I never understood them as a band nearly as well.

Like I said, though, I was curious, and I was 10X more curious when Thom mentioned that Adrian Belew (King Crimson) was playing with them.

The song was "Crosseyed And Painless," and Thom was right. It's incredible. Nine people on stage, and somehow all the different instruments and voices blend almost perfectly. It's not David Byrne and a bunch of other people--it's a band. And it's fierce.

There are 10 different songs in this Rome concert, and I think they're all available on YouTube. I've seen about half of them, and they're fall fantastic. So here's the link to Crosseyed and Painless, and if you're interested, the rest are easy to find.

Site Meter