Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Basketball Notes

I almost never keep track of the NBA regular season, since the playoffs last what--six months? When I saw that MSG had settled the sexual harassment case case filed against them for 11.5 million dollars, though, it caught my attention.

Isiah Thomas was in the middle of all this, of course, and isn't anything that happens within a five-mile radius of Isiah Thomas a full-on disaster? Once he left the NBA, he just never grew up. He's basically Webster with a better handle.
***
I've been reading Paul Shirley's blog for a year or so, and when his book--Can I Keep My Jersey?--I thought it was going to be great.

Curiously, it wasn't.

Shirley can be very funny, and he was, at times, but there was a bitter undercurrent in the book that wasn't funny at all, and it was whiny.

Then there's Rod Benson.

Rod played for California, and he was good. Damn good. Now he's toiling away in the NBA Development League, playing for the Dakota Wizards.

I don't think he'll be there long--he's averaging 15 points and 14 rebounds per game in 36 minutes--but what's relevant to this discussion is that he writes a blog.

It's kind of a revelation to read something written by a professional athlete who is just as goofy as the rest of us. It's goofy and funny and interesting, and it's so popular that now he's writing in two different places--personal posts in The Blog Baby!, and basketball-related posts over at Yahoo! Sports.

If you're tired of professional athletes who do things like release weak-ass, weaselly statements that start off with "If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize" (seriously, Andy Petit, could you be more of a little bitch?), then Rod's a real breath of fresh air.

Site Meter