Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sports Notes

After posting several times about Rick Ankiel and what an inspirational story he was, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I should have added if he didn't use human growth hormone like all the other cheating bastards in baseball.

Unfortunately, though, he did.

This is a really good example of why I don't watch baseball anymore, even though I loved it for decades. For at least a ten-year stretch, so many guys used steroids and human growth hormone that the game became hopelessly polluted, and I'm sure many players are still doing it. I'm just waiting for the story that Greg Maddux used steroids. If that ever happens, and you need to find me, I'll be on a ledge.

In other staggeringly discouraging news, the New England Patriots have been illegally taping other teams from the sidelines as part of an effort to steal defensive play calls during games. They were caught red-handed during the Jets game last week, and now everyone is just waiting for the punishment to come down from league commissioner Roger Goodell.

Goodell even sent out a warning before the season about things like this, but the Patriots ignored him.

Look, if Goodall wants to hold players accountable for their actions and come down hard when they misbehave, he needs to do the same thing for coaches. He should suspend Bill Belichick for four games and take away the Patriots' first-round pick in the 2008 draft. Maybe take away a second-day pick, too.

That would send a message.

Site Meter