Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rotavirus

Eli 5.7 continues to improve. We were watching a show last night, and one of the commercials was for a doll called "Baby Alive." The doll drinks, and it, um, creates wastes.

Then, like Frankenstein, it spoke.

"Tell me that doll didn't just say 'I made a stinky'," I said. "Tell me that didn't happen."

"Oh, it happened," Eli said, laughing. "Rewind it!"

So I did, several times, as doll technology reached a nadir from which it may never recover. And we laughed and laughed and laughed.

I want to share an e-mail about rotavirus that I received from Official DQ Microbiologist Brian Witte:
These viruses can be extremely durable, and persist on surfaces for weeks. There is no acquired immunity (meaning that, unlike chickenpox, getting once does not make you immune). I would recommend wiping down any potentially contaminated surfaces (including door knobs, toilet seats, etc.) with bleach. Finally, throw out Eli's tooth brush - that's a very common way for people to reinfect themselves.

The real point of this email, though, is that your story and my experience reminded me of an initiative I'd read about a year or so ago whereby various foundations were trying to distribute a newly-developed vaccine against rotavirus to developing countries. In countries without decent health care, the infection is often fatal. I know you want to keep the focus of your blog on more light-hearted stuff, but this is a chance to spread the word on a subject that apparently affected a lot of your readers.

Here's the link to a page about the vaccine (created by Merck, I think, but still with worth-while subject): http://www.rotavirusvaccine.org/.

The charities funding the distribution of the vaccine are: http://www.path.org/ and http://www.gavialliance.org/.

I'm not affiliated with any of the above - I just wanted to pass the info along.

That's all good information, and believe me, if your child is still young enough for the vaccine to be effective, it's worth considering.

Site Meter