Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Pick List

Gloria took four hours to pack for the trip to Shreveport. I took fifteen minutes, and for the last five I was totally goofing off.

Because I'm a guy, though, spending fifteen minutes on packing was far too long.

"I think I could pack in five minutes if I had a pick list," I said.

"What's a pick list?" Gloria asked.

"If you're in a warehouse, and you're filling orders, you have a list that tells you what to "pick" from inventory," I said. "I could create an Excel spreadsheet where I just input the weather and the trip length, and it would generate and print a pick list for me. I could save at least five minutes every time I pack."

"So how many years would it take before you were in the black after actually spending the time to create that spreadsheet?" she asked.

"I was in the black the minute I thought about creating it," I said. "Every idea I have is Black Friday. Because I'm MONEY. Not in the sense of currency or actual value, of course."

"Of course."

"While you're tediously constructing that hand-written list, then worry about losing the list, I'll have my pre-generated pick list that will take me less than ten seconds to generate. And as I hold that list, I will be looking down at you from outer space."

"Where you live," she said.

Site Meter