Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's a Beautiful World

There was a show at the Paramount Theater on Saturday that I thought Eli 5.1 might enjoy. It was a combination magic/song thing where the theater goes dark and all the performers wear dark clothing and have neon painted on their costumes or something. Eli's grandmother (Gloria's mom) was coming for the weekend, and Gloria always looks for something fun they can do together.

"So would you go to this with us?" Gloria asked when I told her.

"Hmm, let's see," I said. "I can go to a show in the dark performed by a ballet troupe and a children's singer with my mother-in-law or I can watch college football on the couch for three hours. Don't torture me with impossible choices like this!"

"Very funny," she said, meaning not funny at all.

"There are video clips on the web so Eli can see what the show's like," I said. We went to Gloria's study and pulled up the video clips, but they were almost impossible to see, given that they were filmed in the dark and the room was as bright as the surface of the sun.

"In the regular world, where the windows in a study are sensibly covered with black sound-proofing foam," I said, "this wouldn't be a problem."

"Do you mean your world of one?" she asked.

Site Meter