Thursday, January 12, 2006

Zen, Now With Noodles

We went to my favorite Japanese restaurant last weekend. It's located right in the middle of the dingiest strip mall you can imagine, but inside the restaurant it's absolutely beautiful.

"Who would imagine that such a peaceful restaurant would be in a strip center?" Gloria asked.

I shrugged, wisely. "Peace is where you find it," I said. Give me one piece of tempura and I get all Zen and shit.

"That's a profound thought coming from someone who's eating udon soup with a fork," she said.

"I understand the wisdom of the Far East but not the cutlery," I said. It's true. Udon soup has noodles that are about six feet long. They gave me a funky spoon that's excellent for eating soup without noodles, but I was able to eat exactly zero noodles while I was using it. So I defaulted to the fork. It was either that or stick my face in the bowl like I was ducking for apples.

"Don't worry," she said. "It's not embarrassing to me. Not at all."

Using the fork, anyway. Anything else, I'm not so certain.

Site Meter