Wednesday, October 26, 2005

We Have Different People

"Hey, did we get a Fed Ex this morning?" I asked. I'd just walked in the door from work.

"No," Gloria said. "Were you expecting something?"

"Big game coming out today," I said.

"What is it?"

"Civilization Four," I said. "Civilization is probably the most well-known real-time strategy franchise of all time. This is the new version."

"Oh," she said.

"People are really looking forward to it," I said.

"Uh huh," she said.

"Well, my people are looking forward to it. Your people are probably less interested."

"That's probably right," she said.

"My people are also interested in several big college football games this weekend that your people have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever."

We have different people. My people play games and are cool. We're cool boomerangs--cool throws us away, but it can't get rid of us. We talk about our doings.

Her people don't play games and are scary. They talk about their feelings.

Man, I break out in shivers just thinking about that.

And they hate sports. My wife has been on a single-minded search for the last two decades to befriend every person in America who has no interest in sports.

I had no idea such people even existed. They don't seem dangerous, though.

Yet.

Site Meter