Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Ten Hours of Sleep

For some reason, I've been exhausted the last few days. More exhausted than my usual level of exhaustion, anyway. So last night I decided to go to bed at 10:00 p.m.--at least three hours earlier than usual. For the first time in years, I'm going to get ten hours of sleep, I thought to myself.

Smugly.

What follows is a transcript of what happened during that ten hours. Each entry (except the first) represents me waking up.

One note: our cat is named "Sprout," in reference to her diminutive size as a kitten, although a more appropriate name for her now would be "Field." I have translated Sprout's repetitive cries into my best approximation of what she was trying to say.

10:00 p.m.
I go to bed. I'm asleep within minutes.

10:35 p.m.
Thunder. Thunder. THUNDER.

11:17 p.m.
Sprout: I'M COMING UPSTAIRS. I'M COMING UPSTAIRS. I'M COMING UPSTAIRS. I'M WALKING DOWN THE HALL. I'M IN THE BEDROOM. I'M COMING ONTO THE BED.

11:31 p.m.
Thunder. Thunder.

12:15 a.m.
Sprout: I'M GETTING OFF THE BED. I'M WALKING DOWN THE HALL. I'M GOING DOWNSTAIRS. I'M GOING DOWNSTAIRS. I'M GOING DOWNSTAIRS.

1:20 a.m.
Sound of sawing wood, coming from an undisclosed source.

2:25 a.m.
Undisclosed person goes to bathroom. Undisclosed person flushes undisclosed toilet.

3:30 a.m.
Eli 3.9: Mommy. Mommy, wake up! I fell out of bed. Daddy, did you hear what I told Mommy? I fell out of the bed.

4:40 a.m.
Sprout: I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM. I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM. I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM. I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM. I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM.

4:45 a.m. Sound of bear scratching in gravel pit.

4:47 a.m.
Sprout: I WENT TO THE BATHROOM. I WENT TO THE BATHROOM. I'M WALKING DOWN THE HALL. I'M IN THE BEDROOM. I'M COMING ONTO THE BED.

5:30 a.m.
Sound of cassette player being turned on.
(from cassette player)
Scooby-Dooby-Doo, Where Are You?
We got some work to do now.
Scooby-Dooby-Doo, Where Are You?
We need some help from you now.


Eli 3.9: Let's move out, people! It's go time! My Daddy, I played the Scooby-Doo song when I came down here. I am cracking me up! Let's get up now!

Ten hours of sleep. Fresh as a daisy.

Site Meter