Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Good Hygiene is Just Good Sense

After Eli 3.7's bath, he'll yell "DADDY!" down the stairs, and I'll go up to tell him good night.

We have a well-established routine. Eli asks "Are you HEAVY or LIGHT tonight?" I get on my knees, and he takes a running start and tries to knock me over. I can't remember how this started, but just seeing the determined look on his face every night as he plows into me with his shoulder cracks me up.

Most nights I'm light, by the way, which means he knocks me over and we fall into a heap.

Tonight, because I've been sick (which I strongly suspect I caught from him, since he's had a stomach virus for several days now), I went upstairs and decided to forego the heavy/light confrontation. Gloria was reading Eli a book, and he was sitting up in his bed, holding a tissue.

"Can I have a hug, little man?" I asked.

"No, Daddy, you can't have a hug."

"What?"

"I SAID I can't give you a hug." This was a shocker. I don't think I've ever heard him say that before.

"I can't? Why not?" I asked.

He stuck out his index finger. "Because I have a BOOGER on my finger and I don't want to get it on you."

Good reason.

Site Meter